Wuhan coronavirus outbreak could be a ‘black swan’ that hurts retail sales, tourism in mainland China as Lunar New Year travel ramps up - Speakers Den

Breaking

Speakers Den is a platform where training, sales, sales promotion, digital marketing, graphic design, Handbills and banner printing, Email Marketing, Social Media Campaigns, Blog and Website Creations, Content writing, Script Writing, Project writing and Research, CV writing and editing using current formats of which is reckoned with to crave impact globally.

Welcome To Speakers Den

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Post Top Ad

Friday, January 24, 2020

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak could be a ‘black swan’ that hurts retail sales, tourism in mainland China as Lunar New Year travel ramps up

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak could be a ‘black swan’

As the first case of the Wuhan coronavirus was reported in the United States on Tuesday, UBS said the outbreak, if not contained, could weigh on retail sales, tourism and travel in China in the first quarter and the early second quarter of this year.

The Swiss bank said it could present some downside risk to its economic growth forecast for the mainland, but it would expect Beijing to engage in additional policy easing to offset any shock from the virus, particularly to affected sectors, such as hotels and tourist-related businesses. Measures are likely to include the People’s Bank of China keeping interbank liquidity “ample” and guiding down market interest rates in that scenario.

“History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes. More importantly, China has learnt lessons from Sars. The government is now working much more proactively and transparently to contain the Wuhan pneumonia than [it did with] Sars, and China’s public health system is now more experienced than before as well,” Wang Tao, head of Asia economic research and chief China economist in UBS’s investment bank, wrote in a research note on Wednesday.

“Given the limited information, the mortality rate of Wuhan pneumonia seems notably lower than Sars. However, the ongoing travel peak season is a tremendous challenge, which could complicate the disease diffusion.”

The outbreak has emerged at the height of the Lunar New Year travel season where some 3 billion trips are expected to be made by Chinese residents over the 40-day holiday period, which runs to mid-February.

The virus, which is believed to have had its first transmissions at a wholesale seafood market in Wuhan, has sickened more than 400 people and resulted in nine deaths. It has also spread to half a dozen other countries and territories, including the United States.

Hong Kong has reported more than 100 suspected cases, including 88 people who have been discharged from hospital.

Health officials in the United States, Singapore and other countries are stepping up screening of passengers travelling from Wuhan as they seek to curtail the spread of the virus.

Wuhan is a major transport hub in Hubei province, where all of the deaths from the coronavirus have occurred.

The viral outbreak has echoed back to severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars), the epidemic that afflicted more than 8,000 people worldwide and killed 299 people in Hong Kong in 2003.

Sars cut into retail spending, as well as hotels, airlines and travel-related businesses as tourists and business travellers avoided Hong Kong. Retail sales fell by more than 6 per cent in March 2003 and another 15 per cent in April 2003 – the height of the epidemic, according to a paper on the economic effects of Sars by the University of Hong Kong.

It also changed the way people conducted their daily lives as they stayed away from restaurants and public places, avoided pushing the buttons on lifts and prominently wore face masks even if they were not ill.

Schools in Hong Kong have already begun taking extra precautions, office towers have hand sanitisers available in public spaces and face masks are again common in the streets.

In its note, UBS said China’s sequential gross domestic product growth slowed sharply in the second quarter of 2003 during the Sars epidemic, mainly because of a hit to tourism and related sectors, such as transport, hotels and catering. Overall, mainland retail sales slowed from 9.2 per cent growth in the first quarter of 2003 to 6.8 per cent in the second quarter.

Beijing provided targeted fiscal policy support for affected sectors in 2003, including waiving some fees for tourism and transport, UBS said. It also had accommodative monetary and credit policy at the time.

Fears about the Wuhan outbreak have already cut into markets this week, with the Hang Seng Index falling below 28,000 in early trading on Wednesday.

Wendy Liu, China strategist in UBS’s investment bank, said it expects hotel operators with nationwide operations to be “significantly affected” depending on the spread of the virus, noting they are already trading below the 2003 trough valuation.

“Our consumer/internet team believes consumers may prefer to stay at home and forgo crowded public venues, cutting near-term travel plans. Thus, retailing, parks and movie theatres, which would normally benefit from Chinese New Year due to seasonality, could see downside,” she said. “Furthermore, on-premises alcohol consumption is likely to be negatively affected.”

Food deliveries, video streaming services and e-commerce could marginally benefit, she said. The bank remains constructive on Chinese equities this year, she said.

“Investors are rightfully concerned about infections spreading due to the heavy CNY travel season,” Liu said. “However, also important, if consumption/retail sales weaken due to the spread of this virus, in theory, easing efforts may step up and we continue to monitor the lending rate trend for non-financial sectors in China.”

4 comments:

  1. This has really worked and I am proud to testify of it. I saw a post on how a lady got her man back by Dr Jato. He helped her to get her Ex Husband back. My Husband divorce me 2 years ago to live with another woman and i have try to let go of him but i could not, so i try to do many things to get him back and he refuse to come back to me. I visit a forum one day for tips to get him back and there is saw a lady testifying of how Dr Jato helped he to get her man back after he was tie down with a spell by another woman and Dr Jato was the one that help her. Although I never believed in spiritual work I reluctantly tried him because I was desperate and i contact him and explain my problems to him, to my greatest surprise Dr Jato helped me to bring back my man after 2 days and now my relationship is now perfect just as he promised. Getting your ex back permanently spell does not only bring back someone you love but it will also re-ignite your lovers feelings for you to be as happy with that person. My man now treats me like a queen and always say he love me all the time. If you are passing through difficulties in your relationship Email him for urgent help.E-mail: jatolovespell@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call him at +2348140033827
    thank you Dr Jato for the help..

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    I thought my life had nothing to offer anymore because life became meaningless to me because I had Herpes virus, the symptoms became very severe and bold and made my family run from and abandoned me so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams,vision and job because the doctor told me there's no cure. I consumed so many drugs but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me making it worse. I was doing some research online someday when I came across testimonies of some people of how Dr ehiaguna cured them from Herpes, I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked and he sent me his herbal medicine and told me to go for a test after two weeks. Within 7 days of medication the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I was NEGATIVE by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you Dr ehiaguna because I forever owe you my life and I'll keep on telling the world about you. If you are going through same situation worry no more and contact Dr ehiaguna via drehiaguna@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348073908953 he is good too to cure all type of disease and virus.1 HIV cure
    2 cancer
    3 diabetes
    4 hepatitis
    5 herpes.
    You can contact if you are having any problem...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spell to fix your broken marriage or relationship problem or after a divorce or Breakup,I was recently scam by two of them, until one faithful day i meet a man called Dr Oselumen who help me to get back to the father of my kid after we have been separated for two years,I only pay for the items required for the spell and he cast the spell for me within 24hours my ex husband called me and beg me to forgive him for everything until the end of the world he will never leave me again we are back together.if you need a real and quick love spell or you are passing through pregnancy problem Dr Oselumen is the answer, Please if any body needs. LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY,PREGNANCY SPELL, DIVORCE SPELL,STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL AND MANY MORE YOU MAY NEED. Email him now for your own help. via email droselumen@gmail.com add him on whatsapp line or call +2348054265852.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See komplekt on 100% puuvillane ja mugav kanda,
    Iga komplekt on eraldi pakendatud.

    Komplekt sisaldab:
    1 lühikeste varrukatega t-särk,
    1 libisemine,
    1 paar sokke ja

    Suurus: XXL
    Hind: € 1,65 / komplekt Talvine puuvillane aluspesukomplekt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for your concern towards this blog, share your view about this post by clicking on comment. Have a nice day ahead.

Place your Advert for as low as $10 call 08061154825

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here